Undecided for those who want a WordPress podcast host or not?
In the event you’re beginning a podcast, you’re most likely researching microphones, scripts, visitors, and extra. However there’s one other necessary consideration that you just’ll must make proper at the starting – the place you’re going to host your podcast recordsdata.
If you wish to maintain issues easy (and maintain your prices down), you may plan to simply host your podcast recordsdata in your present WordPress website internet hosting.
There are some nice plugins that make that simple, resembling the Seriously Simple Podcasting plugin.
Nonetheless, whereas that strategy will form of work, it’s not excellent, particularly as soon as your podcast begins rising.
On this publish, we’ll dig into podcast internet hosting for WordPress customers, together with answering the query of whether or not you want a devoted WordPress podcast host or for those who can simply use your present internet hosting.
Then, we’ll introduce you to a easy answer that permits you to profit from devoted podcast internet hosting whereas nonetheless doing every part out of your WordPress dashboard.
That is the precise answer that we use right here at WP Mayor to energy The WP Mayor Podcast, so we’re placing our cash the place our mouth is. Right here’s an instance of what it appears to be like like:
Facet be aware – for those who haven’t subscribed to the WP Mayor Podcast but, make certain to take action!
So – do you want a WordPress podcast host? Let’s reply the query!
Table of Contents
- Can You Actually Use Your WordPress Website to Host Your Podcast?
- My Host Gives Limitless Storage and Bandwidth
- All Internet hosting Is the Similar – There’s No Distinction Between Web sites and Podcasts
- Introducing Castos – An Straightforward-to-Use WordPress Podcast Host
- Castos Pricing
- Create Your Personal Podcast At the moment
Can You Actually Use Your WordPress Website to Host Your Podcast?
At a primary technical stage, you completely can host your podcast utilizing your WordPress website and your present WordPress internet hosting.
Whereas that is a little bit of an oversimplification, a podcast is mainly simply a bunch of audio recordsdata in an RSS feed, which WordPress is greater than able to dealing with (with the proper podcast plugin).
What’s extra, a lot of WordPress hosts promote limitless bandwidth and storage, which looks like a match made in heaven as a result of internet hosting and serving up all these audio recordsdata is each storage and bandwidth-intensive.
Nonetheless, that is a kind of conditions the place simply since you technically can do one thing, that doesn’t imply it is best to do one thing.
Let’s break down two of the greatest misconceptions of self-hosting your individual podcast…
My Host Gives Limitless Storage and Bandwidth
In the event you’re utilizing certainly one of the many “limitless” shared internet hosting suppliers, your host most likely advertises that you’ve got “limitless bandwidth” or “unmetered bandwidth”, together with limitless storage.
On condition that your podcasts will eat up a lot of bandwidth when folks obtain them and people audio recordsdata will take up a lot of cupboard space, you is perhaps considering that you just hit the jackpot and also you’ll be capable of energy your complete podcast utilizing these limitless assets.
Sadly, I’ve dangerous information right here:
Limitless bandwidth and storage don’t exist.
Any host that advertises limitless bandwidth and storage will even have a “truthful use” clause to go together with it. Sometimes, it will say one thing like “the assets are limitless primarily based on the wants of a median web site”. For instance, right here’s Bluehost‘s truthful use coverage:
When you won’t run into any points at the starting, podcasts are very bandwidth-intensive and also you’ll virtually actually run afoul of this truthful use coverage as your podcast grows.
At that time, your host will both minimize off your internet hosting plan or power you to improve to a dearer plan.
All Internet hosting Is the Similar – There’s No Distinction Between Web sites and Podcasts
Okay, this one is form of true. As I discussed above, at a excessive stage a podcast is simply audio recordsdata and an RSS feed, which any internet host is able to dealing with.
Nonetheless, that is form of like saying a Honda Civic and a Bugatti Veyron are the similar factor as a result of they’re each vehicles.
They’re each vehicles. However in order for you the reliable workhorse, you need the Honda Civic, and if you wish to go quick, you need the Bugatti.
It’s the similar scenario right here. If you wish to host a web site, you need a host that’s tailor-made its infrastructure for internet hosting web sites. And if you wish to host a podcast, you need a host that’s tailor-made its infrastructure to host a podcast.
So – what are a few of the variations between the two approaches?
- Bandwidth – as we talked about above, podcasts are far more bandwidth-intensive than most common WordPress websites, particularly when you have a lot of listeners.
- Concurrent obtain help – one other subject with bandwidth utilization is that your downloads will likely be clustered round sure instances (e.g. once you launch a new episode and folks’s apps routinely obtain it). All these concurrent downloads can do a quantity on web site internet hosting.
- World supply – when you have guests round the world, you want to use a content material supply community (CDN) in order that your whole guests have quick obtain instances. That is particularly necessary for streaming (i.e. if podcast listeners haven’t downloaded the episode in advance). Whereas some managed WordPress hosts construct in a CDN, the overwhelming majority of hosts don’t.
In the event you’re simply getting began and also you solely have a few listeners and episodes, your webhosting might be as much as the process. However when you get past that, you need a internet hosting that’s constructed to deal with the distinctive wants of a podcast.
Introducing Castos – An Straightforward-to-Use WordPress Podcast Host
Castos is a podcast internet hosting service that integrates tightly with WordPress, due to its Critically Easy Podcasting plugin.
As a devoted podcast internet hosting service, Castos will do all of the heavy liftings in relation to the fundamentals of operating a podcast. That features…
- Storing your whole podcast recordsdata.
- Creating the RSS feed in your podcast and auto-publishing your podcast to all main platforms together with iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and extra.
- Speedily serving up audio file downloads through Castos’ content material supply community, which has greater than 30 international areas in order that listeners can obtain from the nearest location.
Castos is not only for WordPress customers. However for those who do like the concept of utilizing WordPress to handle your podcast, you possibly can set it up so that you just’re capable of profit from devoted podcast internet hosting whereas nonetheless having the ability to work by way of your WordPress dashboard.
Basically, you possibly can add new podcast episodes by way of WordPress through the Critically Easy Podcasting plugin, which incorporates creating a new web page in your website for the episode and including the podcast participant. Then, the plugin will routinely sync these adjustments to your Castos internet hosting with out you lifting a finger.
Castos additionally goes past the fundamentals with a number of different options to enhance your podcast:
- Podcast analytics – view in-depth analytics to find your high episodes, obtain numbers, the place guests come from, which apps/companies they use, and extra. Castos will pull in knowledge from all the completely different platforms the place you distribute your podcast.
- Private podcasts – you possibly can create particular personal podcast episodes which are solely out there to licensed subscribers. It additionally integrates with MemberSpace so to cost for entry. Which means you gained’t want to surrender a lifetime fee to a intermediary like Patreon.
- Video podcasts – if you wish to transcend audio, you additionally republish movies to YouTube and, with the highest tier plan (extra on pricing subsequent), Castos additionally helps video file internet hosting.
- Podcast editing services – Castos also can edit your podcast due to their group of seasoned audio engineers, proficient present be aware writers, and producers. They’ll deal with your audio enhancing, present notes, transcripts, and extra. All you want to do is hit file! in testing their work? Take a look at The WP Mayor Podcast episodes right here.
If you wish to see the duo of Castos and WordPress in motion (through the Critically Easy Podcasting plugin), look no additional than The WP Mayor Podcast, which makes use of this precise mixture.
We even have an episode of the WP Mayor Podcast the place Jean and Gaby discuss to Craig Hewitt, the founder, and CEO of Castos. In that episode, Craig will stroll you thru what it’s like to begin a podcast and the way Castos might help.
First off, Castos provides a 14-day free trial with no bank card required so to take a look at out every part at zero threat.
From there, Castos provides three preset plans in addition to customized podcast internet hosting plans for these with distinctive wants.
All of the plans let you may have limitless podcasts and limitless podcast episodes. The one limits are:
There are additionally some function variations between the plans. For instance, you’ll want the higher-tier plans to entry computerized republishing to YouTube and video file internet hosting.
Listed here are the month-to-month costs:
And listed here are the yearly costs – you get two months free for those who pay yearly:
As I discussed above, you may as well go for Castos’ podcast editing services at an extra worth.
Create Your Personal Podcast At the moment
If you wish to begin a podcast, WordPress is a nice technique to construct a web site to showcase your present and your episodes.
Nonetheless, you shouldn’t depend on your WordPress website’s server to host your precise podcast recordsdata, particularly as soon as your podcast begins rising.
Utilizing a devoted podcast internet hosting service is a a lot better possibility as a result of it has infrastructure that’s constructed to deal with the distinctive technical wants of a podcast.
To recap a few of the key advantages, meaning…
Plus, you’ll additionally get entry to a number of different helpful options resembling detailed obtain analytics, personal podcast episodes, video podcasts, and extra.
With Castos, you may get these advantages whereas nonetheless doing every part out of your WordPress website. Due to Castos’ Seriously Simple Podcasting plugin, you possibly can add new episodes on to your WordPress website, together with creating a new publish with an embedded participant.
Then, the plugin will routinely sync that episode with Castos in order that Castos can do all the work of delivering that content material to listeners through their favourite apps.
Once more, if you wish to see what WordPress, Castos, and the Critically Easy Podcasting appear to be, you possibly can take a look at The WP Mayor Podcast. And if you wish to strive it out for your self, you possibly can:
We even have a information on the way to arrange a podcast on WordPress for those who’d like a serving to hand.