A variety of issues occurred (together with me catching COVID-19 and thus spending the previous week binging Frasier). Listed below are a few of the issues (apart from me nonetheless not with the ability to style my Häagen-Dazs).
Table of Contents
- Gotta Keep Folksy, People
- Biden To Urge Filibuster Adjustments For Voting Rights
- Annoyed Voting Rights Teams Gained’t Present Up At Biden Speech
- RonJohn Weaponizes Christmas Parade Assault In New Adverts
- We’re About To Shatter A Report For COVID-19 Hospitalizations — Once more
- Crimson Cross Announces First-Ever Blood Disaster
- U.S. Strays Additional From Local weather Targets
- Should Learn
- Maya Angelou To Change into First Black Lady On Quarter
- First Pig Coronary heart Into Human Transplant
- Drink Your Pee, Anti-Vax Chief Tells Followers
Gotta Keep Folksy, People
Even with a number of prison expenses hanging over his head, Rep. Jeff Fortenberry (R-NE) announced on Monday that he’s operating for one more time period.
(Jeff Fortenberry YouTube channel)
- Fortenberry’s expenses embrace mendacity to the FBI about his alleged ties to a international marketing campaign contribution scheme.
- He’s pleaded not responsible and is ready to look at a listening to at present.
Biden To Urge Filibuster Adjustments For Voting Rights
The President will use his speech at present in Atlanta, Georgia to press Democratic senators to tweak the foundations of the infamous filibuster in order that they’ll move essential voting rights payments with out GOP obstruction. Sens. Joe Manchin (D-WV) and Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ), famously, stay holdouts, although they help the underlying voting rights laws.
Get TPM in your inbox, twice weekly.
Your subscription couldn’t be saved. Please attempt once more.
Your subscription has been profitable.
- That is the primary time Biden will use his bully pulpit for a full-throated endorsement of filibuster reform. He signaled support for comparable filibuster rule modifications final October and once more in December however declined to totally wade into the Senate Democrats’ debate over the difficulty.
- Senate Minority Chief Mitch McConnell (R-KY), who’s hellbent on bullying Democrats into maintaining the filibuster precisely the best way it’s for apparent causes, is holding a press convention of his personal on the topic with Senate Guidelines Committee rating member Roy Blunt (R-CO) at present.
Annoyed Voting Rights Teams Gained’t Present Up At Biden Speech
A few of Georgia’s prime voting and civil rights teams are too fed up with Biden’s method to filibuster reform — and the voting rights laws which may include it — to attend the President’s speech at present. The advocates need Biden to offer an precise plan to get payments like John Lewis Voting Rights Act and the Freedom to Vote Act.
- “We have now been screaming, we’ve been yelling, we’ve been speaking about this for over a yr,” a co-founder of Black Voters Matter advised NPR.
- Main voting rights activist Stacey Abrams received’t be there both, although that’s due to a scheduling battle, in line with the New York Times. She tweeted a welcome to Biden final night time.
RonJohn Weaponizes Christmas Parade Assault In New Adverts
Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI), who has damaged his pledge to not run for reelection, put out a few new marketing campaign adverts yesterday pushing conservatives’ tried-and-true “gentle on crime” speaking level during which he pointed to the lethal Waukesha Christmas Parade to say that “Democrat insurance policies have been disastrous for America.”
We’re About To Shatter A Report For COVID-19 Hospitalizations — Once more
Falling simply shy of the report 142,273 COVID-19 hospitalization circumstances on Jan. 14, Monday noticed a staggering 141,385 circumstances in complete, organising the U.S. to hit a grim new record as quickly as Tuesday.
Crimson Cross Announces First-Ever Blood Disaster
The COVID-19 pandemic has put an unprecedented strain on blood provide within the U.S. by inflicting blood drive cancellations and points with staffing, in line with the Crimson Cross. New blood donors plummeted by 34 p.c final yr.
U.S. Strays Additional From Local weather Targets
Due to a 6.2 percent jump in greenhouse gasoline emissions in 2021 in comparison with final yr, Biden’s plans to slash carbon air pollution 50 p.c by the top of decade has gotten much more difficult to comprehend.
Maya Angelou To Change into First Black Lady On Quarter
The U.S. Mint announced on Monday that the company has began rolling out new quarters that includes the famed late poet as a part of its American Ladies Quarters program. Right here’s what it seems to be like:
First Pig Coronary heart Into Human Transplant
Medical doctors on the College of Maryland Medical Heart reached a huge medical milestone final week by transplanting a pig coronary heart right into a human affected person, who survived the process and is respiration on his personal.
Drink Your Pee, Anti-Vax Chief Tells Followers
Christopher Key, an outspoken opponent of the COVID-19 vaccine, recommended on Telegram what he known as “urine remedy” as a substitute of the shot as a result of, he claimed, “God’s given us all the pieces we’d like.”
Do you want Morning Memo? Tell us!